Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sergio Martinez Finishes Macklin In 11th

Although he was tested, Sergio Martinez  (49-2-2, 28 KOs), was able to KO Matthew Macklin (28-4, 19 KOs), in the 11th round on HBOs' 'Boxing After Dark' last night.

The win gave Martinez his fourth successful title defense since April of 2010.


In spite of putting away the game Macklin in the end, Martinez got a bit frustrated at the fights onset, but as the fight progressed to the later rounds, the veteran turned up the heat as Macklin began to fade.

“It was difficult, it was a complicated fight. He’s a tough rival. He didn’t come out and attack like I expected and he wasn’t open on defense. It’s a 12-round fight and I won.

“I knew it was a matter of time, it’s just like cutting a tree, little by little, but I knew by the final bell he was gonna fall.”

The Irishman in Macklin, fighting in front of his fans on St. Patricks day, gave props to Martinez and admitted that he lost his intensity in the later rounds.

“I executed the game plan to a degree over 6, 7 rounds. I knew the fight was close, maybe I started reaching a little bit. I think he’s the best fighter in the world, a much better fighter than Felix Sturm in my opinion.

"I started falling asleep a little bit, stopped moving my head. I was a little heavy on my feet. I wanted to continue but Buddy said ‘I’m stopping it’ and I said ‘OK’.”

Does this finally set the stage for a Mayweather Jr. vs. Martinez show down?

Stay tuned.

Please feel free to leave your comments and thoughts below.

You can follow 'Uppercuts Inc.' using either your Google login, Email, or RSS feed at the top of the site or on Facebook at the pages below:

Colorado MMA: http://facebook.com/MenMustFight.
Colorado Boxing: http://facebook.com/ColoradoBoxingNews

See you at the fights!