Thursday, March 8, 2012

Is Rios vs. Gamboa Off? - Boxing News

Looks like the highly anticipated fight pitting the Cuban Olympic gold medalist Brandon Rios (29-0-1, 22 KOs) against the undefeated Yuriorkis Gamboa  (21-0, 16 KOs) is in danger of being called off.

This because it appears Gamboa has opted to boycott some of the pre-fight events as he holds out for more money.

Gamboa had this to say recently when asked about the matchup that would award the winner the vacant WBA strap.

"No. There's no contract and there is no fight. Whenever everything is clear with my contract, that's when the fight will happen, but right now I'm not under the terms that I want the fight to happen. 

"I don't have a problem with HBO, and I hope that HBO doesn't have a problem with me either because everything that's happening with me, I didn't choose to be in the position I'm in right now.

"But this is the time to do this, because if I don't stand up for myself, nobody else is going to do it. I never thought that things would wind up this way, but there was never a contract and there was never a signature from Gamboa agreeing to fight with Brandon Rios on April 14th."


Let's hope the powers that be find a way to get this one done.

If not for the fighters, the fans.

You can follow 'Uppercuts Inc.' using either your Google login, Email, or RSS feed at the top of the site or on Facebook at the pages below:

Colorado MMA: http://facebook.com/MenMustFight.
Colorado Boxing: http://facebook.com/ColoradoBoxingNews

See you at the fights!