Monday, January 30, 2012

Margaret Bloom's WY MMA Blog


Universal Fight Alliance 8: Women of MMA will be coming to Casper, WY February 18, 2012. Several local fighters will be competing on this card, to include two stand-out debuts from 'Fight Syndicate'.

Katie Moerke (mer-kee) and Haelle Smith step into the cage for the first time in just a few short weeks. Both ladies have trained at 'Fight Syndicate' since its inception last year. They are phenomenal fighters and ladies that are worth getting to know.

While Katie has always enjoyed watching Martial Arts and Boxing, she was bitten by the fight bug when she watched Ericka Trujillo fight me. While I lost that battle, Katie felt compelled to take advantage of training opportunities with me; which we did periodically until April of 2011 when we became dedicated teammates. The growth I have seen in Katie's fighting over the past nine months has been tremendous. She serves as an inspiration to all who know her. In addition to her 9-5, she studies personal training, teaches fitness classes, and puts in 1.5-2 hours each evening at 'Fight Syndicate'.

She has also appeared on "Workout Wednesday" on the K2TV morning news. She is a runner, having logged miles in Boston and Wyoming. In 2012 you will see her not only in the cage, but in the Casper Marathon and several charity runs. When asked if training in MMA has changed her life, Katie stated, "I was a pushover. I now stand up for myself. I was in need of some lifestyle changes. Healthy ones are in place. I needed a drive and goal; oh, baby, I got that! I plan to train MMA forever; it is a great therapy and discipline for me and there is so much to learn! I am not sure where I want to go with it, quite yet, I just know I want to do it." In addition to competing in MMA, Katie will be testing her skills in grappling tournaments.

Haelle Smith is a high school senior with a fantastic future! She enjoys training with as many different styles and disciplines as possible and exudes a true love for fighting. At the end of a rigorous training session, I can count on hearing, "C'mon Margo! Let's roll!" And, after tying me up like a pretzel for what seems like an eternity, she goads me with, "Let's go again!" Haelle is a kind soul with a constant smile and a work ethic that drives all those fortunate enough to train with her. Haelle has trained with Ice House, the Casper Boxing Club, and professional fighter George Morgan. We are proud to have her represent 'Fight Syndicate', bringing with her an extensive foundation.

As coach and teammate of these two incredible ladies, it is with great pride that I share the honor of fighting on this card. It is with a humbled heart that I step into the cage as the main event against Worland's Crystal Pedroza for the UFA Women's Bantamweight title. It is my firm belief that no fighter enters the arena alone. We bring with us the knowledge, efforts, and support of the entire team. To that end, I would like to thank my mom, Peg Hall, for always being in my corner.

Ladies of all weights and experience levels interested in fighting on this history-making Wyoming card should contact promoter Steve Alley at 720-422-5154.

You can follow 'Uppercuts Inc.' using either your Google login, Email, or RSS feed at the top of the site or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/MenMustFight.

See you at the fights!