Monday, February 27, 2012

Alexander vs Maidana On HBO

In the main-event of HBO's 'Boxing After Dark', it was Devon Alexander (24-1, 13 KOs) that was able to get the win over the always tough Marcos Maidana (31-4, 28 KOs) via unanimous judges decision.

The fight was an action packed, back and forth affair that saw Alexander out box the 140lb contender in Maidana by the time the final bell rang.

Kevin Cunningham, Alexander's trainer, talked about what he thought the difference was for this fight after having issues with fighting at the weight in the past.

“His energy wasn’t sapped in this fight the way was in his last few fights at 140 pounds. Devon started having a problem fighting at junior welterweight with the (Andreas) Kotelnik fight. He hit the wall at 145 pounds before the (Lucas) Matthysse fight. He had to stop eating and dry out to make weight for that fight and it showed in the late rounds.”

Alexander commented on what the Matthysse fight showed him about facing adversity during a fight.

“I believed in my skills. That’s why we moved up to 147 pounds. I felt very strong at this weight. I also learned from my other fights. I learned against Matthysse that you’re going to get roughed up and you have to stand your ground sometimes to get respect. I learned against Bradley that you’re going to get cut but you have to fight through it.

“I was cut tonight. It was a tough fight, a tough night. I had blood in my eyes but I didn’t let it bother me. I just fought my fight and proved that I’m a versatile boxer. I can box and I can punch.”

"Like" the official Colorado Boxing News and Colorado MMA Facebook pages using the links below and never miss combat sports news again.

Colorado MMA News:http://facebook.com/MenMustFight
Colorado Boxing News:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colorado-Boxing-News/175644565861141

See you at the fights!