Tuesday, October 15, 2013

'Summer Of Testament' Pt III - Paolo Ornelaz

Here is the final chapter of Paolo Ornelaz's 'Summer Of Testament', an MMA story about more than fighting:

The sound of  Kanye West’s (Ft. Young Jeezy) song  “Amazing” echo’s through the Tropicana. Santi enter’s the cage with a determined look. The ‘Lil Bully’ was facing Phillipe Nover (fought in the UFC). Nover really under estimated Santiago’s ability to wrestle. Santiago worked a takedown and mounted the BJJ black belt. They work their way back to their feet. Phillipe has having issues with the strength of Santiago. Santi works his way to a seated position and attempts to stand as the round ends. It turned into wrestling match and Novar had the advantage after the third round. Santiago lost by a unanimous decision. 

We knew it was a tough night for the team but we grew closer as a unit. It was also a big learning experience for myself, seeing what the east coast had to offer. Michael jumped up in weight to fight this guy and learned a lot about himself and so did David. The next day we drove back to Chicago and myself and the others who rode the van drove back to Chicago. I got to know some of the best people in the world and got to be part of the family. David is still young and has lots to learn and his family will be there by his side. As for Santi he fights tomorrow at his weight class he is a tough competitor and good man. My favorite memory I have with Santi after his win in Las Vegas was a ritual he does and it as a prayer to his grandfather and after he said his prey it made me choke up.  

Then July comes around and once again I am at the UFC Expo. I finally got to meet Duane Ludwig. Well along with TJ Dillashaw, told me to buy a supplement that they were selling I was I don’t know or anything well they convinced me to buy it so I did. And I must admit it’s a good one on the joints. I met a lot of fighter’s business people and won some money on the Weidman fight.


A few years ago back in 2010, I was a member of the University of Wyoming’s wrestling team. Coach Mark Branch called me into his office and asked me if I had any room at my house and of course I said yes I got plenty of room so he asked if I can put a fighter up in my house for a few weeks and I said sure why not. His name is Jorge “Game Bred” Masvidal. I looked up his stats on ‘Sherdog’ and saw that he just fought Paul Daley and some good guys, so I got a link to one of his fights and it was his fight against Paul Daley. In my personal opinion up to that point Jorge won that fight and I kept hearing that they kept calling him a street thug. I was damn that’s kind of wrong. Then I also found out he fought on the streets under Kimbo Slices underground fights and two of them he beats Ray, Kimbo protégé twice. 

A lot of critics are saying he is the best street fighter to step foot in MMA. When I met him it was different. He wasn’t use to a guy like me. I had three people staying at my house so I gave Jorge my room and the poor guy wasn’t use to the cold of negative -12 or when it got to -22. Jorge taught me a lot about the fighting game and I am forever great full. When left Laramie he left in shape, a better wrestler and got fed pretty good. We still remain friends, I made him a promise when he got a shot at the title I would fly down and see him fight for it so I fulfilled my promise. On April 20 2013 was the night when he finally made his UFC debut. I was proud because this guy stayed at my house and he was just coming up. 

It was his last fight on July 27th. I flew up that night to see not only him fight but Justin Salas and Ed Herman. When Ed Herman and Ryan Schultz opened their gym I wanted to check it out so for a brief time I got learn from them. I was recommended by Jorge and Travis Shufelt (Ryan’s old college Teammate). Justin Salas and I go way back to 1996. 

My freshman year and his sophomore year this guy shocked the State of Wyoming in winning the State title at 140 pounds.  At the end of his high school career he was a two time state wrestling champion an All American and the winner of the Dave Schultz Hall of Fame award. To see him win in a very tough grueling fight made me proud of knowing him and being able to compete against him it and to see somebody from Wyoming do what he did gives a lot of people in the rural towns something to believe in. Jorge fought the best fight I have ever seen him do after getting knocked down early in the 1st round. He stayed relaxed and kept his cool, wearing Michael Chiesa down. Jorge had great game plan and stuck to it and won him the fight. I’m sure when he got back to Miami, he ate some brownies with ice cream and chocolate syrup. A few weeks ago I signed up to do a wrestling class over at Extreme Couture and I was hearing about Cub Swanson’s brother. And at the time I just found out that Matt Manzanares was fighting him. So this guy I know named Carl was telling me how tough he is and I him told strait up Matt will win. So Carl and I made a wager. So I went to see some friends that live in Downey, California. 

It was a reunion with my Army buddies so I told them that I knew somebody was fighting in Cali.  So let me put this out there I struggle with PTSD and this year has been a struggle for me. This is helping me a lot to write this piece. As I arrive to the Stub Hub station with my Army buddy’s one thing I notice how sweet the place looks. I go and take my seat and Matt comes out. Steve Ally said this in Matt’s first ever professional fight he is the fighting pride of Cheyenne. With all the boxing legends we had growing up. 

All the great boxer’s, fighters and Sanchez family who made there in impact in wrestling. Matt Manzanares has already surpassed them all. He has the torch now and that makes him the fighting pride of Cheyenne. One thing the late great Tom Pacheco said you have to commit yourself and to be the best you have to give yourself. Matt Manzanares started boxing at the age of 8 and  through hard work and discipline Matt had a settler boxing career winning many state and regional championships and making it all the way to Golden Glove Nationals.  . Matt is not only a fighter he is a father of three and works a full time job. To balance all that he does takes a special person and that is his wife Jenny. She keeps everything in order and what a lot of people do not see is, the family and the sacrifices they do to make sure everything going well and its not easy to what these wives have to. 

Matt earlier had a minor setback earlier this year he was scheduled to fight Sergio Pettis, the younger brother of UFC fighter Anthony Pettis. Manzanares injured his knee that required surgery. With heart and determination had a speedy recovery. After seeing the first round Matt has already broke Steve Swanson down mentally. the second round comes around Matt was winning clearly on the feet. Steve try’s to utilize his takedowns but in the end Matt’s BJJ kicks in and win’s by arm bar. The reaction was stunning to see the excitement of the Manzanares family was very joyful. 

In all my ventures is seeing sports I have never seen what Matt’s family has done, to see them all smile and cherish the moment with pride and dignity was remarkable and this moment was not just Matt but to his supporting family, friends and teammates to make this happen was special through eyes of the people that there or watched on tv, was a special moment.  I’m going to say this plain and simple tonight is just a preview of what is in store please to tune in and watch Cheyenne’s Legend in the making. I have brought my summer piece and .the story Ray “Sharktopus” Bunker, David “Rock Steady” Rohn, Michael “ Lil Bully” Lamas, Jorge “Game Bred” Masvidal, Justin “J-Bomb” Salas and Matt Manzanares. 

I wanted to to dedicate this piece to SSG Jeffery Loa today makes 7 years that this man died for his country. Thank you for believing in me.  I wanted to thank my family and my Army buddies I haven’t been the easiest guy to deal with this year and loving me. To Brian “Z” Zehler thank you for lending an ear to me and having someone to talk to.  To Ray, Santi, The Rohn Family, Jorge, Justin and Matt thank you. And to John Specht thank you for letting me write this piece.

If you liked this, check out the links below: 


You can follow the www.TheFightWire.com on Facebook using the links below: 


See you at the fights!